Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Rocks in my Pockets" premiere

If you've followed my conversations with Signe Baumane throughout the 3-year production of our feature films (my film "Cheatin'" and her film "Rocks in my Pockets"), then you know the history that's behind our friendly competition.  If not, check out our debates on my Vimeo page - http://vimeo.com/plymptoons - as we chat about our films and find out how we each have our own methods and ideas about making cartoons.


I entered "Cheatin'" in all the festivals I could, while Signe held out for one big festival, Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic.  She returned from Europe with rave reviews and two festival prizes, plus her review in Variety was a lot better than mine. 

Signe made a film about a very dark subject, suicide, while mine is more of a romantic comedy.  Her film is chock-a-block with dialogue, while I told my story with visuals alone.

In any case, her feature "Rocks in my Pockets" opened September 3 at the IFC Center, with a rave review from the New York Times and packed houses.  And even though I have some issues with the movie, it's a real tour de force of animation about deep, dark family secrets and I wish her all the luck in the world.


I hope she makes a million, because she deserves it.  She worked her butt off making this film, with almost no budget, and I'd love nothing better than for her to become an animation superstar.

I give the film a "B" - it's playing in New York until September 18, and for screenings in other cities, please visit:

http://www.rocksinmypocketsmovie.com/Screenings.html

Bill P.



No comments:

Post a Comment