Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rizolli Book


Guess what I just received? My first copy of my big coffee table book, "Independently Animated, Bill Plympton – The Life and Art of the King of Indie Animation"

I know that's a very long title, but it's a very big book. It's a coffee table book! And it covers my whole life.

I immediately went through the book page by page upon its arrival. And even though I worked on every page, it felt like I was seeing it for the first time.

I cringed of course at some of my earlier work – but that's a normal part of an artist's development, to experiment with lots of different styles, techniques and mediums. And, I believe it will be very instructive for young artists to see the transition of my art style throughout the years.

This spring, I will be traveling across the US visiting book stores and colleges, doing publicity and signings of the book, so watch for me in your town.

I want to thank Robb Pearlman at Rizzoli for doing such a great job, also the great designer Chris McDonnell, and David Levy who helped me write the book was indispensable. And of course the wonderful Terry Gilliam who wrote the hilarious forward.

You can now preorder the book on Amazon, and if you see me I'm happy to give you a drawing in the book. Tell your friends, spread the word – it’s a great book!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Bill! I was honored to be a part of such a special book. This book covering all your excellent work was wayyyyyyyy overdue. Best wishes for a great launch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE COME BY DREXEL IN PHILADELPHIA! WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU DROP BY FOR A SIGNING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Can't wait to get mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to disagree with "long overdue" and say "too soon".

    "Idiots and Angels" hints that your best work is still ahead. So "too soon" but still a most welcome publication. Even better -a publisher like Rizolli will do justice to the work.

    ReplyDelete